[ale] Giant storage system suggestions

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Sun Jul 15 02:46:49 EDT 2012

I hate NASses and recommend them only for amateurs.  That is, amateurs I
don't like. :)

Replacing a vastly overpriced NAS (Netapp rebadged as IBM) with a
Supermicro-based Linux/Samba machine full of SATA and SAS drives at a
former employer saved tens of thousands of dollars and facilitated being
able to do very fast ClamAV virus scans (at over 200MiB/s, IIRC) and
searches and had the flexibility of...well, a Linux machine.  Compare
this to having to pay IBM just to enable each protocol used (e.g., a few
thou to switch on NFS).  On a contract job before that, a guy at LaCie
eventually admitted to me that the NFS implementation on one of their
products never worked right but they shipped regardless.  Crap like
that.  But PHBs buy the things at the drop of a hat, thinking they're
getting away with something.