[ale] Giant storage system suggestions

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Sat Jul 14 08:49:37 EDT 2012

Just for kicks, I did some googling on large scale data. These looked interesting.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/01/the-big-disk-drive-in-the-sky-how-the-giants-of-the-web-store-big-data/
http://highscalability.com/google-architecture/
http://datasafestorage.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/5-reasons-why-google-uses-tape-for-disaster-recovery/

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> wrote:

I suppose you're right. :) Perhaps if I write it as (Giant Storage)
System it might be more descriptive of what I'm looking for. It doesn't
have to be a full-size rack of drives, it just has to have a huge amount
of disk space available that can grow over time (though eventually it
would likely fill a full-size rack depending on space consumption).

RAID 10 might be a bit overkill but some type of RAID arrangement was
certainly in the idea only with a virtual file system spread over the
whole thing.

On 7/13/2012 17:18, Scott McBrien wrote:
> I feel like a single machine with a pile of drives doesn't qualify as a 'giant storage system' to most of us. Though I suppose if I change the emphasis on what words I pay attention to, I could read this as 'a giant storage machine' ;-)
>
> Please use something like RAID10 on these disks, it'll halve your usable space, but provide a little resiliency.
>
> -Scott
>
> On Jul 13, 2012, at 5:40 PM, Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> wrote:
>
>> On 7/12/2012 00:20, gcs8 wrote:
>>> I built a large zfs pool for my personal use hear at the house, (
>>> gcs8.org/san ) iscsi has good throughput and you can have a small server
>>> take care of sharing it out from there. I use freenas and it has served me
>>> pretty well. I have ~35.6tb after raid z2. The theory for my design was
>>> that if I lose any hardware I can replace it with what ever sense freenas
>>> it taking care of my disks not the hardware. If I could change 2 things
>>> about my setup I would try and get infinaban or at least 10gb eth, and use
>>> a ssd for cacheing.
>>>
>>> Now I can't afford to keep a second one to rsync to but I do use crash
>>> plain to back it up, works fine I have 8.7tb backed up with them right now.
>>> Just my. 02 cents.
>>
>> This is pretty much what I was thinking about (I had even looked at that
>> very Norco enclosure) except for adding the SATA/SAS expander to allow
>> more drives to hang off a single SATA/SAS card. A second or third
>> enclosure plus SATA/SAS cables pulled from the first enclosure to the
>> others (what's the longest cable available? I haven't seen external SAS
>> connectors.) would give me more physical expansion (as needed) but still
>> have only one machine/OS running.

See JOBS, ANNOUNCE and SCHOOLS lists at
http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo