[ale] Giant storage system suggestions

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Fri Jul 13 21:55:58 EDT 2012

Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> wrote:

>On 7/12/2012 04:36, Barlow, Jim D wrote:
>>

>> As Jeff Layton says:
>>
>>> If you want to go a bit cheaper, then I recommend going the
>>> Gluster route. You can get it for free and it only takes a bunch
>>> of servers. However, if the data is important, then build two
>>> copies of the hardware and rsync between them - at least you
>>> have a backup copy at some point.
>>
>>> Good luck
>>> Jeff
>>
>> Alex:
>>
>> It is a great time to check  out Gluster http://gluster.org as of the
>3.3 release.  Red Hat has put a lot into the project lately.   I've
>been testing it for my own uses and have been delighted with it.   It
>may complement your ideas.
>> I've ordered some inexpensive x86_64 hardware  function as Gluster
>bricks for my own elastically scalable storage.     It mounts as a high
>performance fuse file system or NFS, with a Samba shim you are good to
>go with CIFS.
>
>I took a look at Gluster but I don't think I want to go that route.  I
>want to have the fewest number of machines/OSes to maintain (ideally
>just one but maybe two if the array gets too big for one machine).
>This
>would be especially important at work where I can't get more than one
>or
>two network IPs.  The maintenance requirements to keep a half a dozen
>or
>more machines up to date in software is a lot more work than just one
>that I can leave under my desk and check on once in a while.
>
>So I think I'm still going to be leaning towards one machine and a pile
>
>of drives for now.

Hi Alex,

Caveat, I'm not a giant storage expert, but ...

* Cost may be obnoxious (don't know) but what about this

http://www.drobo.com/products/business/b1200i/index.php

You could do 24 tb in one chassis with 2 tb drives.

* Re only 2 ip's, could you stick your server behind a nat router at work?  Then you could jave lots of ip's behind the router.  Also, if you could run ipv6, you could probably get 50000 ip's.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern.  My email address has changed.  Replying to former
address.  Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O)   Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com