[ale] Citrix Xen

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 13 13:30:37 EDT 2012

Modern Xen is much better. Both Dom0 and DomU are in the mainline kernel,
and so no custom kernels are needed anymore. Am using it with Xen 4 on
Debian 6 for about a dozen VMs.

The only problem with the distribution of Xen in Debian is that it depends
on the external world for a few things, like bootstrapping a new VM. I
haven't used anything that stacks on top of Xen or the scripts provided by
Debian, though and I suspect that there is a healthy management system for
it somewhere on the Internet. I would like to play more with getting Xen to
be automatically controlled in a setup not unlike Linode's setup, someday,
with the ability to do automatic provisioning and system setup, as well as
things like live migration.

I am curious as to how KVM is more flexible than Xen, though. The overhead
is far greater since it is actually emulating hardware, and the only
interface to KVM that I am aware of is the KVM fork of QEMU, which is
essentially just QEMU, as I understand it, with the KVM system being used
to accelerate the CPU emulation. Or is there now a command line interface
that allows things to be more efficient yet and drop things like the VGA
chipset and other hardware emulation?

Anyway, just wanted to really mention the face that the upstream/mainline
kernel supports execution on Xen natively now. :-) I think that happened
extremely late in the 2.6 series, maybe 2.6.38 or 2.6.39, IIRC.

--
Sent from my Android device. Sorry for any typos,
autocorrect is sometimes a pain in the rear.