[ale] OT electronics in us passport

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Thu Jul 12 15:34:31 EDT 2012

Hi Mike W.,

Thanks to you, (and others) for the information and links.  You all have
convinced me that there's enough potential risk from RFID, although
probably minimal, to justify trying to mitigate it.  Just so everyone
knows, the cover of the passport provides shielding, so it's not
supposed to be readable if closed, according to what I've read.
However, if it's only 1/2" open, I read somewhere that it can be
scanned.  And, because of the binder / cover design, it likes to pop
open.  Therefore, I decided to get a wallet for it.  I didn't want to
wait for online delivery, so I've been roaming around town.  If you find
these at all, you generally find them near the luggage department, along
with luggage scales and travel padlocks, etc.

I tried Target, WalMart, Office Max, TJMax / Homegoods, Khols, Staples,
Radio Shack, Stein Mart, Office Depot, and Belk.

Both Office Max and Khols had passport wallets, but the packaging didn't
mention RFID protection.

The only one I found in local stock in Cumming which mentioned RFID
protection is one from American Tourister and stocked by WalMart.  No
longer in stock now, since I bought the last two.

The part number is AT31-900-100-13-Black and it costs about $12.  I
don't know how good it is, but should be better than nothing on short
notice.

I don't think any of my credit / debit cards have the RFID and if I get
one, I'll ask for one without it.

Based on an article I read, you can look for the following logos on your
cards to see if they have RFID.  I don't know if this is the only way to
tell.

MasterCard - PayPass
Visa - payWave
Amex - expresspay

By the way, other than the warning that you mentioned in your other post
about possibly not being able to board planes if you somehow "damage"
the chip and it doesn't work, the passport itself says (in very fine
print) that you may be subject to prosecution if you alter the
passport.  Title 18, USC, Section 1543.

Also, does anyone know if the new GA driver's licenses have the RFID?
Maybe I'll have to use my passport wallet all the time for my other
cards.  Maybe I'll have to get a cheap RFID scanner just for
experimentation.

Sincerely,

Ron