[ale] has anyone programmed in GO / how do you like it

Ron Frazier (ALE) atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com
Mon Jul 9 16:34:26 EDT 2012

Hi Adam,

Thanks for all these references. I've subscribed to the go-nuts mailing list and downloaded the PDF you mentioned. Based on your comments and those of Leam Hall and some online reading, it looks like GO will be the language I learn to get back into programming after a 17 year absence. Go sounds very exciting, and these links look interesting. I'll be investigating them further as time permits.

Sincerely,

Ron

Please excuse my potential brevity.

(To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very quickly.)

Ron Frazier
770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
linuxdude AT techstarship.com

Adam Jimerson <vendion at gmail.com> wrote:

On Jul 8, 2012 6:18 PM, "JD" <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

On 07/08/2012 04:49 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Have any of you used the GO programming language? If so, how do you like it? What are some good books / resources?
>
> I'm already aware of the #go-nuts chat group on freenode.

Paul Kline and Adam Jimerson did a presentation about GO at the ALE-NW in May.

Perhaps they will join in this conversation?

Go is one of the best languages that I code in, other than Go I code in Perl and PHP with some experience with C++.  Go is concidered both a general programming language and a systems language because of this it is very flexible as to what you can do with it, an example is http://www.golang.org everything from what produces the HTML for the site and the web server itself is done in Go.  Also once you have Go installed you can spin up a local version of the site with the go doc command.  Considering how new the language is there is already a good amount of material out there for developers or people that want to learn the Language.  Other than the mailing list and the IRC channel, there is a free E-Book that you can get from http://www.miek.nl/projects/learninggo/index.html the book itself is also open source ( the Latex and the source is at https://github.com/miekg/gobook).

The Go Lang website also has some good resources such as some "Getting Started" articles:

http://golang.org/doc/code.html <- How to Write Go Code

http://golang.org/doc/effective_go.html <- Effective Go

http://golang.org/ref/spec <- The official Language specification

Now that the boring thing are out of the way some more resources include:

The Go community Wiki: http://code.google.com/p/go-wiki/w/list

A tour of Go: http://tour.golang.org/

There you can write Go code and have it compile and run in your browser, this uses

limited version of the Go Playground (http://play.golang.org/).

Thinks to the fact that Google licensed Go under the BSD license you can also

read through the source code for all the packages, which is formatted in the official Go formatting guideline (which is run "go fmt" on your code and end the format wars).  The packages themselves are very well documented http://golang.org/pkg/.

Lastly I would highly recommend watching the videos of the Go presentations in this years Google IO, which gives in-site in why Google created the new language as well as further information on the language.

http://blog.golang.org/2012/07/go-videos-from-google-io-2012.html

One last thing as JD has said Paul Kline is the other publicly known member of the list that uses Go, if you have any further questions feel free to ask.