[ale] to speed up your internet connection, slow it down (buffer bloat)

Michael Still stillwaxin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 15:50:33 EDT 2012

Kinda late on this thread but this may be handy to check out:
http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2071893

and

http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2209336

Not sure if these are linked to in the other articles mentioned.

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 5:13 PM, Ron Frazier (ALE)
<atllinuxenthinfo at techstarship.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to share some information about a phenomenon which can dramatically
> slow down your internet connection, or connections within a LAN some times.
> It's called buffer bloat. I first heard about it over on the NTP questions
> list. I don't remember why that came up, probably related to network
> latencies for NTP servers. Then, later, Steve Gibson discussed it on the
> Security Now podcast. I've provided several links below for those who wish
> to research it.
>
> For those not familiar, buffer refers to a memory queue in a router or other
> networking gear. The problem occurs when you go from a large bandwidth pipe
> to a smaller bandwidth pipe, such as the transition from your LAN to the
> internet WAN. At this point, you might go from 100 Mbps or 1 Gbps bandwidth
> to something like 3 Mbps or 20 Mbps or 50 Mbps or whatever. The point is,
> that it is a dramatic reduction in bandwidth.
>
> So, if you're trying to transmit to the internet at 100 Mbps and it can only
> take 20 Mbps, the link will become saturated. Without buffers or queues,
> about 4/5 of the packets will be dropped. The system will rapidly recognize
> that it cannot go that fast and it will scale down to something which the
> link can support.
>
> However, with large buffers, which many routers have, the problem becomes
> much worse. Let's say the router has a 4 M Byte or approximately 40 M bit
> ram buffer on it's outbound transmission channel. Your computer fills that
> buffer in about 4/10 sec, but, that buffer is going to take 2 sec to empty
> out sending the data to the internet. While I don't understand all the
> technical magic that happens, I do understand that the normal automatic
> throttling systems no longer work. So, your computer might be seeing a 2 sec
> delay to get packets out on the internet while they meander through the
> buffer on a first in first out basis.
>
> There is a new intelligent packet dropping algorithm called CODEL that may
> be the solution. The bufferbloat site mentions it, and Steve did a podcast
> talking about it. It shows great promise, however, most routers don't
> implement the algorithm, and many probably never will get upgraded,
> including many home routers.
>
> So, here, as I understand it, is a way you can work around the problem.
>
> My wife works from home sometimes and uses a VPN back to work. Sometimes,
> here system locks up and says the connection is lost. I have as many as 7
> devices sharing the same internet connection, so her system may be
> experiencing congestion. I suspect that many times, the problem is on the
> other end at her office, but just in case, I decided to tweak the router. I
> turned on a QOS (quality of service) setting and told it to prioritize her
> data traffic over mine. I also made some changes to avoid any possible
> buffer bloat problem.

> [...]

[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$ cat .signature
cat: .signature: No such file or directory
[stillwaxin at gmail.com ~]$