[ale] OT ntp - leap second - how many knew what this was 3 weeks ago

Jay Lozier jslozier at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 13:57:20 EDT 2012

On 07/04/2012 10:39 AM, Ron Frazier (ALE) wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Around the beginning of this year, I was doing quite a bit of research
> into ntp and gps and eventually set up my own gps based ntp time
> server in both Linux and Windows. At the end of June, a leap second
> was inserted into the time sequences of the clocks on Earth. For those
> that may not know what that is, the atomic clocks are coordinated with
> the earth's rotation, so, for example, when the clock says noon, the
> sun is always roughly overhead. However, the earth's rotation speeds
> up and slows down at times. So,sometimes, we have to tweak the clocks
> to match the earth again. At the end of June, an extra second was
> inserted. Normally, the seconds go 58 ... 59 ... 00. This time, they
> went 58 ... 59 ... 60 ... 00. As it turns out, this crashed a number
> of servers.
>
> I find this very interesting, and somewhat scary as a potential
> programmer. Since I'm thinking of learning programming again, and
> since I have an interest in timekeeping, I have considered writing a
> world clock program etc., to show the time in different parts of the
> world. However, prior to my NTP research, I never knew about the leap
> second. So, there would have been a good possibility, had I written
> the program prior to this year, that my program would have crashed as
> well.
>
> So, my question is, how many of you knew about leap seconds prior to
> this incidence of it and prior to my describing it. If you were
> writing a clock program, would you have known to account for this?
I did not know adding a leap second was occurring until later. I was
aware that Earth's rotation is slowing and periodically leap time must
be added to account for it. I am not sure from a purely practical matter
if it is important to add leap seconds instead of leap hours by doing
something similar to EDT/EST time change but making it permanent.

> Sincerely,
>
> Ron
>

> --
>
> Sent from my Android Acer A500 tablet with bluetooth keyboard and K-9
> Mail.
> Please excuse my potential brevity.
>
> (To whom it may concern. My email address has changed. Replying to former
> messages prior to 03/31/12 with my personal address will go to the wrong
> address. Please send all personal correspondence to the new address.)

> call on the phone. I get about 300 emails per day from alternate energy
> mailing lists and such. I don't always see new email messages very
> quickly.)
>
> Ron Frazier
> 770-205-9422 (O) Leave a message.
> linuxdude AT techstarship.com <http://techstarship.com>