[ale] Looking for recommendations on next low end linux server hardware

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 23:05:03 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

>> I'm thinking of running VMware ESXi 4.1 and Centos on top of that, along with
>> whatever other VMs I need to load.
>
> If you use ESX or ESXi, you don't need a video - it won't use it.  The interface
> will be either 80x25 text or ASCII graphics.  You'll need a Windows PC to manage
> ESX(i).
>
> CentOS will be a different boot from ESX(i), unless you plan to run it in a VM -
> which will work wonderfully. As to which hardware - you'll definitely want to
> check the ESX "whitebox" hardware list.
> http://www.vm-help.com//esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php
> Out of 4 systems here, only 1 had an appropriate disk controller and NIC for ESXi.
>
> In case I haven't been clear.  The ESX(i) box will not use your graphics
> hardware to any extent.  You will not sit behind that machine and access any VMs
> with graphics.  If you want VGA or better graphics used, you'll be booting
> something other than ESX or ESXi.
>
>> Graphics support needn't be gaming fast; just hi resolution.  (1920x1080 is
>> probably fine.)  This is a database development and general office linux machine
>> for me and my partner.
>
> A $40 card handles dual monitors here fine.  1900x1280 and 1080p.
>
>> My dollar target is around $300, or the top end of the TigerDirect off-lease
>> systems.
>
> I'd reuse everything I could, buy a Core i5 + MB + RAM ... for about $320.
>
>> Any recommendations on stuff that "just works", as opposed to stuff that has
>> problems with linux and VMware?
>
> The vmware hcl will mandate components that are pretty well supported by Linux.
>
>> Also, any thoughts on mirroring?   Fedora and Ubuntu handled software drive
>> mirroring pretty simply at install time.   Can VMware do that transparently for
>> its Virtual machines?
>
> The RAID card HCL for VMware ESX will need to be referenced.

With ESX the more memory and more core the happier it is. I am running
it on Dell Optiplex 745 with 2 cores and 4 Gigs. It runs.

--
Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne

(678) 636-9678
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
Community Manager -- Southeast Linux Foundation (SELF)
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Studio a try. www.susestudio.com.
See you at Southeast Linux Fest, June 8-10, 2012 in Charlotte, NC.
www.southeastlinuxfest.org