[ale] Weird behavior with Intel 965 graphics

Chris behrnetworks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 11:19:33 EST 2012

Hello,

I'm seeing some odd behavior on my Dell Latitude D630. It's got the
mobile GM965/GL960 Intel graphics chipset. I'm running
Debian Wheezy on it and after grub loads, the screen goes blank. The
laptop does boot, and I can log in and start an X
session and get the screen back. If I plug an external monitor into
the VGA port the problem doesn't appear. It seems to be
that the VGA port wants to be the primary output over the LCD panel. I
noticed in my dmesg output a line that says:

[ 14.817404] [Firmware Bug]: Duplicate ACPI video bus devices for the
same VGA controller, please try module parameter
"video.allow_duplicates=1"if the current driver doesn't work.

I'm betting that using this setting will fix my problem. Where does it go??

Thanks!