[ale] Linux install breaking windows?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 17:52:35 EST 2012

so a windows game system broke and won't boot.
yep. sounds about right.:-)

As long as the windows side was booted into after the repartitioning, then
that was not the cause.

It could be a bad drive section in the windows side.

Blue-screen on all boot methods sounds like a bug hit it. At least the
system has a Linux partition on it for real work :-)

He can mount the windows side and run a virus scanner on it.

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM, John Anderson <j at intte.com> wrote:

> I installed mint side by side on my nephews computer up in NY about
> three weeks ago. I defaulted the boot to windows to not force the issue.
> I had some minor issues on install where the toolbars wouldn't show up
> in the gnome desktop. Installing other desktops appeared to fix the
> issue for some reason. I left him running KDE.
>
> Windows apparently worked for at least a week after I left. For the past
> week however, Windows blue-screens on boot. It also blue-screens in all
> safe mode options. They do at least get as far as the screen asking
> which safe mode option to choose.
>
> Now, if someone described these symptoms to me on a Windows only box I
> would guess hardware failure. However the mint partition is working and
> my nephew is using that in the meantime. He doesn't seem to mind except
> he can't run some of his games.
>
> Now, the only thing that I really 'did' was that I did use the
> repartition tool to make room for mint linux - something that I haven't
> actually done that often so I don't know how common problems are.
>
> There is also the question that maybe the toolbar issue that I had
> relates to an issue with the video card, as opposed to a video driver
> issue which was my working theory.
>
> So- anyone have any issues with repartitioning a windows drive causing
> windows to bluescreen?
>
> Does it seem plausible that it could be a hardware issue- given that
> Mint seems to run OK?
>
> The Ntfs partion can't be mounted from the file manager GUI inside Mint-
> is there  a way to force it on the command line?
>
> Is this perhaps related to a virus/rootkit on the windows side?
>
> Might fsck help?

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/