[ale] Plug computers?

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Dec 5 10:13:16 EST 2012

Hi,

Alex Carver <agcarver+ale at acarver.net> writes:

> Anyone using one of the various plug computers that could share their
> experience?
>
> I'm thinking ahead to moving my mail and syslog server to something
> like a plug computer with an external hard drive attached.  The server
> is very low volume and minimal load (exim/dovecot/syslogng with some
> monitoring using mrtg).
>
> I may also use it as an endpoint for SSH tunnels though I may also use
> something like an Rpi for that (currently using a meraki with the
> wireless interface turned off) and possibly as the master controller
> for apcupsd.

I have a SheevaPlug running Fedora 12 that acts as my DHCP server and
one of my internal DNS servers.  I have a 4GB CF card for its brains.
I also have a spare in case it has issues.

I've been playing with F17 and a GuruPlug but have not, yet, been able
to actually get it to work.  It loads the kernel and initrd and then it
stops.

-derek