[ale] Stable, backward compatible APIs

Tim Watts tim at cliftonfarm.org
Thu Aug 30 18:58:23 EDT 2012

I'm not so sure the API has to be stable to the point of stagnation in
order to instill trust.  There are disciplined ways of evolving an API
and many FOSS communities have done so successfully.  From what I've
read and seen the problem in the Linux desktop arena has been the
undisciplined evolution driven by the developers/designers.  Deprecating
entire subsystems without advance notice because one of the key
designers thought of a cool new way of doing it over the summer,
regardless of how entrenched or critical the API may be.  (And no,
publishing your intent on your blog before the next release doesn't
count as advance notice.)  I've abandoned a couple small projects
because of stuff like that.

So in short, I find fault more with the personalities involved than the
nature of the enterprise.