[ale] more fun with ssh

Bob Toxen transam at VerySecureLinux.com
Wed Aug 29 19:34:48 EDT 2012

Assuming the DNS is OK, your ssh client (the side that initiates the
connection) likely is NOT responding to the ssh server's ident request.

>From the server (that is running sshd listening TCP port 22), give the
command:

  telnet client-system 113

If you don't get the server to say something like:

  Connected to thief.bill-gates.com (111.222.333.444).
  Escape character is '^]'.

or if when you then type a few random characters and 2 newlines.

you don't get output back, that is your problem.

Bob