[ale] OT: Light Management

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Fri Aug 17 11:58:01 EDT 2012

I must be weird.   For me the more light the better.   Every time I see admins/operators sitting in rooms that are dark with the only light being from their monitors I am flabbergasted that they don't go batty.   The one time I worked in an office that was previously dark I asked the first day if anyone minded me turning on the room lights  and from that day on they were on whenever I was there.

It was interesting to me some years ago to find out there's actually something called Seasonally Affected Disorder (SAD) that impacts some folks even more - shorter daylight makes people that function well in the summer begin to exhibit all sorts of issues (poor performance, irritability etc...) in the winter until they are diagnosed.   The treatment is to sit in front of a bank of very bright lights for some period of time.   I'm not quite that bad but I did find after seeing that story that having my cubicle lights on during the day in addition to room lights did seem to make the winter months seem less grey to me.