[ale] IPv6 interface identifiers

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Thu Aug 16 13:41:01 EDT 2012

Perhaps someone could explain something to me:  why are interface
identifiers required for link-local communications, particularly on a
system that has only a single network interface?

e.g., I have a router that is using the address fe80::c9f:e0ff:fef1:ae2a
on my network.  The system I am on uses fe80::6e62:6dff:fe53:103.  But
if I want to reach the router by SSH, I must either SSH to its public
address, or I must do this:

ssh fe80::c9f:e0ff:fef1:ae2a%eth0

Or I get an "invalid argument" error.

The fact that I have only one interface shouldn't matter.  I thought
IPv6 ND made it possible to hide exactly this sort of detail.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”