[ale] WiFi at Emory meeting building?

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Thu Aug 16 13:34:50 EDT 2012

On 08/16/2012 01:14 PM, mike at trausch.us wrote:
> They rolled out native support on IPv6 day, but I wasn't able to take
> advantage of it until I upgraded my phone.  Even CM on the G2 wasn't
> able to use it, due to hardware restrictions.

Whoops.  Memory failure here.

They rolled it out *before* IPv6 day this year, as early as May 24 and
possibly before.[0]  At the time that they rolled it out, the only
phones that could use it were the Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus S, though I
think all new phones coming out today support it.

Apparently, I should be able to go "IPv6-only" on the phone, as they
claim to have NAT64 and DNS64 running.  I just tested this, and it did
in fact work.  The funny thing?  I don't really think I care about NAT64
in this case... save for the first three months I had an Android
smartphone (when I accidentally somehow added "VPN support" to my
account, which is nothing more than a $5/mo charge for a public IPv4
address, instead of an RFC 1918 address) I've always been NAT'd on the
cell phone network.

More interesting, I just tried to ping my phone from my desktop, and I
got this:

mbt at aloe ~ $ ping6 -c4 <<ADDRESS>>
connect: Network is unreachable

So I went to my local router to try again:

mbt at spicerack:~$ ping6 -c4 <<ADDRESS>>
PING <<ADDRESS>>(<<ADDRESS>>) 56 data bytes
From 2001:1900:2100::c7e icmp_seq=1 Destination unreachable:
Administratively prohibited
From 2001:1900:2100::c7e icmp_seq=2 Destination unreachable:
Administratively prohibited
From 2001:1900:2100::c7e icmp_seq=3 Destination unreachable:
Administratively prohibited
From 2001:1900:2100::c7e icmp_seq=4 Destination unreachable:
Administratively prohibited

--- <<ADDRESS>> ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 received, +4 errors, 100% packet loss, time 3004ms

Hrm.  Is my local router changing the administratively prohibited ICMP
response to a simple network unreachable?  My routing tables are all
(apparently) correct.  Nope, that's not it.  I try SSH to the phone from
the router (no, the phone doesn't have an SSH server installed, just
trying for the hell of it) and I get "connection refused" (as expected),
but on my desktop I get "network is unreachable".  Hrm... something must
be wrong with my routing table...

Also, it doesn't use stateless autoconfiguration; that much I can tell
from the address format itself.  I'm guessing that means DHCPv6 or a
proprietary address configuration mechanism.

	--- Mike

http://support.t-mobile.com/thread/26025

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”