[ale] WiFi at Emory meeting building?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Thu Aug 16 09:45:47 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-08-16 at 09:11 -0400, Scott Plante wrote:
> It does block vpn connections, though, doesn't it? Not sure if that
> matters to you, but I thought I'd mention it in case you were on call
> or something.

I have heard (don't know from personal experience) that it's limited to
certain well known ports, primarily web and web-related, protocols.
VPNs are definitely going to be a crap shoot.

If that's the case, an SSL/TLS based VPN will almost certainly work.  A
DTLS (SSL/TLS over UDP) such as Cisco Anyconnect / Openconnect may or
may not work depending on port.  OpenVPN - probably a crap shoot, again,
depending on the port you use.

If they allow direct port 53/udp you could always try Iodine or OpenVPN
over 53/UDP.  Iodine will also work through cachers but slower.

I strong have my doubts you would be able to get away with an IPSec /
Openswan / StrongSWAN / vpnc VPN.  All of those would require port
500/udp and then either protocol 50/51 or 4500/udp to work.  That might
be a bit much to ask for out of guest access.

Might be work experimenting with.  I might even bring my laptop along
just to check out the current state of IPv6.  :-P

Regards,
Mike