[ale] OT: google search behavior

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 15 12:43:03 EDT 2012

On 08/15/2012 11:53 AM, Boris Borisov wrote:
> Minute ago I've been ask from google search to enter CAPTCHA.
>
> <quote>
>
> This page appears when Google automatically detects requests coming
> from your computer network which appear to be in violation of the
> Terms of Service. The block will expire shortly after those requests
> stop. In the meantime, solving the above CAPTCHA will let you continue
> to use our services.
>
> </quote>
>
> The things are getting tight ?

It is some sort of automatic "circuit breaker" that kicks in where there
are an abnormal number of queries (usually, I think, unauthenticated
queries, but it might not matter) coming from a particular IP or
"browser fingerprint".  I haven't a clue the particulars, but I've
tripped it a few times before.  Not in some time, though.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”