[ale] motion (and thief) capture.

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Aug 9 22:37:03 EDT 2012

On 8/9/2012 09:29, Robert L. Harris wrote:
> I have a PTZ camera with a vivotek camera server on the front of my house.
>   It has built in motion detection and video capture but it really sucks to
> setup and use.  I will also be adding a new IP camera, non-ptz, this
> weekend.  I am looking for a solution that can take the PTZ and at 11:00pm
> point it to my front yard to capture motion and record it.  At the same
> time start watching the other camera for motion to capture as well.
>
> Any good solutions?  I used to use "motion" but it doesn't have the PTZ
> controls and was (3 years ago) rather limited in functionality.
>
> Thoughts?
>    Robert

Is it possible to rsh/ssh/telnet into your PZT camera or access a
CGI/API method that will let you send PZT data to it (direct shell
script, HTTP GET/POST)?  Some of the Axis cameras do have a method to do
that in which case a simple cron either on the camera or on a remote
machine that runs wget would let you perform the PZT function.

The other camera I would just set its clock and then set the timer on
the motion detection function to enable at a specific wall clock time
and stay enabled for some duration (Axis has this also).