[ale] Edubuntu Local Apps and Hard Drives : was Need Help sending PCs to Haiti

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Thu Aug 9 15:00:08 EDT 2012

Actually a Satellite connection doesn’t have to mean low bandwidth.   What is “slow” is the round trip time.  One quarter second round trip to go up and come down doesn’t sound slow but if you’re typing commands with full duplex on it is maddening waiting for each character to appear.    If however you’re doing a download the download can be quite apparently fast – what will appear to be slow is the clicking on the page to start the download.

Years ago I worked with a chain of sites that I had to go to via Satellite using telnet.  I found turning off the full duplex and sending in batch mode instead was marginally better for my sanity.  (Of  course batch mode doesn’t show you your typos as you make them so you don’t get instant gratification.)   On the other hand when I had to do a cu or uucp file transfer that was relatively quick.    At the time most of our other sites used 2400 baud modems and the full duplex on those was much faster than the satellite telnet.