[ale] [OT] Spare Parts and GA Tax Free day

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Thu Aug 2 09:59:12 EDT 2012

On 08/02/2012 06:58 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> And there's the problem. Really! You should have AT LEAST 3 additional
> spare systems lying around. OK. so 2 of them are dumpster hauls and
> one is so old even the SWMBO thinks should be in a dumpster but you
> just can't give it up because of a particular thing that box  had.
> Like chipset XYZ that you got going by hand with a custom kernel. And
> between the 3 clunkers there's no compatible parts.

I'm still holding onto an AthlonXP/2000 MB+CPU+RAM .... just for emergency
needs. No case available for it without swapping out a C2D or better, but you
never know when a spare is needed, right?  I have a P4 in a Shuttle case that
has "issues" and a C2D in a Revo-mini case that won't boot too. The last two
were gifts that might need to be re-gifted.

I thought everyone here would be like me with spare parts. I pick up PSUs when
they are on sale - always have 1 extra available. Also have a spare DVD, just
waiting for a server DVD which has been acting up to fail.

Looking for a 900-1500VA UPS ... on sale for around $70 now too.  Fried a 900VA
one a few months ago - it wasn't just the battery. ;)  I've been really happy
with a 1500VA picked up a few yrs ago.  My selective memory thought it was
sub-$100, but financial records say a different, higher, not-to-great number. I
hate when that happens.

When are the tax free days in GA?   August 10-11, 2012