[ale] GnuCash [OT]

mike at trausch.us mike at trausch.us
Wed Aug 1 12:43:58 EDT 2012

On 08/01/2012 11:59 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> Right but it’s one thing to be on the hook for something that you “own”
> (even if you’ve incorporated) and being on the hook for a much larger
> corporation that at the time was collecting more in monthly sales taxes
> than my annual salary.   For your corporation you may feel personally
> responsible even when you’re not legally responsible.

No, I actually had to submit my name and SSN to Georgia's Department of
Labor, and agree to accept personal liability for this corporation's
(payroll) taxes to be paid to Georgia.

To contrast, I had to make no such guarantees to the IRS.

> For someone
> else’s business taking personal responsibility for the things you can
> control is one thing – taking it for things that you can’t control is
> another issue.   Allowing someone in authority to try to make you
> operate contrary to laws/rules is just begging for it.    Even if you
> don’t get held personally responsible when it hits the fan you’re apt to
> pay the consequences in other ways.   There were many accountants at
> Enron who might not have been part of the actual scams but they saw what
> was happening and didn’t do anything to stop it – they all ended up out
> of work and if they had the company retirement plan heavily loaded with
> Enron stock also lost much of their savings.

I think we're mixing issues... Enron's was about accounting fraud, if I
remember correctly.  WRT that, yes, everyone who touches it can wind up
being personally liable.

Of course, right at the moment, I am also the sole person working with
the books, so I have that to deal with as well... but we're also not a
public corporation, nor do I plan to be.  Having public shareholders
changes a corporate environment in a way that I would be very
uncomfortable with unless I were to simultaneously disassociate myself
from the corporation in every way conceivable, including getting someone
else to agree to accept personal liability for GA taxes that the
corporation owes.

	--- Mike

                                   --- Carveth Read, “Logic”