[ale] On swap space (was Re: who is eating my drive)

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Tue May 31 15:37:46 EDT 2011

On Tue, 31 May 2011 15:18:13 -0400
The Don Lachlan <ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org> wrote:

> In a physical system, swap should be a primary partition,
> specifically the FIRST partition. Why? Because the first partition is
> closest and has fastest access. I forget which distro I marked in the
> Do Not Use column because it wouldn't allow me to partition that way
> - it would quietly move the swap partition after the boot partition.

The extended partition doesn't have to be at the end of the drive.  It
can be in the middle, the end, or the entire disk.  I can't remember
the last time I've needed to use an extended partition though.  If I
need more than 4 partitions then I will be using LVM anyway...

I disagree that the using the fastest part of the disk is a good idea
for swap.  We shouldn't be using swap very often, if at all.  Giving it
prime real estate on the disk seems like a waste to me :)

> Use as much swap as you think you may need; if you have the spare
> disk (disk is cheap), then I would use 1x RAM for swap. More than
> that should be unnecessary. As for minimum - 1GB of swap is usually
> sufficient.

Also, if you want to be able to suspend to disk then make sure you have
more swap than physical RAM as well.

Pat