[ale] vmware remote display vs vnc on the ubuntu box vs xming on my Windoze machine

Narahari 'n' Savitha savithari at gmail.com
Fri May 27 23:13:51 EDT 2011

JD  thank you for that great answer.

Here is the setup.

Work PC runs Win7 64 bit with 12GB RAM.  On this box I run VMWare
Workstation 7 which runs Ubuntu 11.04 64bit version.
Runs fine.

Home Laptop runs Win7 32 bit with 3GB RAM.  I connect from this laptop to
the VMWare Ubuntu11.04 I just mentioned above.

Currently the mode of connections is VNC client on my Laptop to the VM.

I am trying to configure XMing on the laptop and use Putty to connect to the
VM in the WorkPlace.  I want to use Putty to do X-Forwarding and thats where
I am trying to get suggestions.

Your input on running PuppyLinux inside a VM on the Laptop  is very
interesting and can help me avoid XMing.
Running PuppyLinux within a VM on my laptop might work, but does it work
well with only 512Mb of RAM well ?

I will give it a shot for the PuppyLinux stuff.  Is XDMCP almost like VNC ?
(lets keep aside security for a second) as in it runs the app on the Work VM
but projects display back to the VM on the home Laptop VM.

If I disconnect the XDMCP session is the app running on the remote box going
to run even after I disconnect XDMCP ?

-Narahari