[ale] Fedora 15

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Wed May 25 10:56:43 EDT 2011

On 05/25/2011 08:45 AM, Rich Faulkner wrote:
> Interesting link.  Thanks for sharing Scott!
>
> I'm in the process of commissioning a new desktop and was originally
> planning on F14 but may take a look at F15 out of curiosity of Gnome3
> (but I have to say that I like Gnome2) and am intrigued at Jim's comment
> that it looks nothing like Window$ 7.
>
> RinL

It definitely does not look ANYTHING(:-))like Window$ 7 the little bit
I've seen of the critter (M$ that is.) I'm still using F15 Alpha RC3 and
have actually gotten to really like Gnome3 Shell and used to it to the
point that I screw things up on my F14 based system when I switch back
to that. Also as I've pointed out on earlier post the UI is written in
Java Script, so if you're good with Java Script you can write your own
extensions or even tweak the source code. Unfortunately they haven't
locked in the code yet so a future update could very well break your
source code changes. Also they don't have a published API out yet so
your extensions may also break in future updates, from what I've read so
far.

The one thing that I did right away was change the background with one
of my choosing as I did not care for the one on the Alpha-RC3 version,
the GUI for the desktop in system tools actual worked in that version,
the RC1 & 2 didn't and you had to manually edit the file pointing to the
image.

Also I've seen something floating around about a User Themes extension
that will than connect some way to gnome-tweak-tool so that you can
change the desktop theme. As is you have to manually make the changes of
replacing the files in the default folder with any existing other themes
out there. I believe one of his blogs at that site has a link to another
site that has other themes available.