[ale] news.google.com affecting BIND and Drupal?

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Tue May 24 15:37:13 EDT 2011

Drupal is using news.google.com to get its content so is doing a lookup of news.google.com which is a CNAME to news.l.google.com.

This started with us having issues with our Drupal site getting errors intermittently:

"The feed from Boil Water seems to be broken, because of error -111 Connection refused."

The Boil Water feed is basically just Drupal going to news.water.com to find information about governmental authorities issuing boil water alerts.

Since this is coming out of a server in our DMZ we had opened the firewall for specific IPs (it won't do it by name - only by IP) so our theory is it is using different IPs to get to news.google.com due to the difference in what the two DNS servers were reporting..   (Apparently they saw the IPs change some time back as well but I wasn't notified of that until after the fact when I created the Nagios monitor that let me know we were seeing the above error starting yesterday.

I understand the idea of localization - what I don't understand is why it would be treating our two servers on the same internal subnet NATted to the same external subnet as each other as if they were in different locations which is why I asked my question.

Alternatively - does anyone know of any "static" set of IPs Google uses for the equivalent of news.google.com so it doesn't change based on which server does the name resolution?