[ale] Building a Linux/Mysql Database server.

Atlanta Geek atlantageek at gmail.com
Tue May 24 00:26:08 EDT 2011

I wasnt very clear.  I actually need to define the specs for a mysql
database server.

Our current server is a Quad Core ~2GHz 4 Gig 2 15k drive (no raid)
configuration. And It seems to be I/O bound on a lot of operations.
The database  as is goes to around 45 Gig.

This new server needs to be able to handle our same database structure
with about 600 Gig of data.  There's a lot of writing and reading of
data.

Any suggestions on hardware.  Can Mysql deal with 32 Gig or is this a
waste of resources because its not enough to cache.  Would we be
better off looking at SSDs .

Any guidance would be appreciated.