[ale] Using diff to see what changed

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 13 18:12:26 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Chris Fowler
<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-05-13 at 17:59 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> >

> > Sounds like a good way to find malware....
>
> I'm actually just doing this out of interest.  I've played with this
> program that has an expiration (not registered, trialware).  I'm curious
> as how Windows programmers implement this feature in their code.  WINE
> should make it easy to figure out.  I can't find any real data in
> the .reg files.  I'm leaning on the proper method is to store this value
> in the .exe and update it as needed.

I've seen that before. during the install, ether the start date or the end
date is embedded into the exe. It checks every time it's run after that
point. You can test for that by resetting the system date past the end date
and disconnect all networking.

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*