[ale] U-verse network issues

Geoffrey Myers lists at serioustechnology.com
Mon May 9 10:22:45 EDT 2011

David Hillman wrote:
> My dad just got AT&T U-Verse.  They are using the U-Verse box as the
> main router for wired and wireless devices.  I believe in keeping that
> kind of TV traffic separate from everything and off my home network, but
> that's just me.  My dad called me because I helped hook up their HP
> network printer and now it doesn't work reliably.  Sometimes print jobs
> will come out garbled and other times it just sits there in the queue.
>  I am thinking packets are getting lost somewhere or the U-Verse box is
> doing something crazy.  Before I go buy them another router that can sit
> behind the U-Verse box for their local LAN, I'd like to prove that the
> U-Verse box is messing with the print jobs.  The print server can be
> pinged and I can pull up the printer config page from any computer,
> wired or wireless.  Plugging the print server into a desktop machine
> leads to flawless print jobs.  It's the network that's the problem, but
> why and where?
>
> Doing a network trace seems like a good idea, except I don't know much
> about network tracing just yet (still learning).  Any quick and dirty
> tools for Ubuntu, etc that I can use?

No help, but I have a similar set up and have had two different
networked laser printers work just fine.  I also have a usb printer
that's connected to a small network print server box and it works fine
as well.  Just some notes of success in a similar configuration.

Double check the cable between the printer and the uverse box.  I've
noted that one of mine didn't seat properly and after reseating it, all
is well.  I don't think it's the cable, might be the uverse box ports.

Just a thought.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."