[ale] moderation

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Sat May 7 09:50:00 EDT 2011

As I've read the on and off list responses to my attempt to storm off from
being involved in ale, the is a common thread in all of the responses -
moderation.

It's not just the job it's also the process and the goal of the discussions.
Sometimes, people say extreme things and other chime in with an alternate
view that is equally extreme. Sum total is still moderation. Some people
post often and other lurk. Sum total is moderation.

I have been asked to stay on as admin and moderator by many and asked to
step down by only one. As I wrestled with the ethics of using the moderator
button on the entire group, the comment that turning off the microphone
doesn't silence speech rang true. That simple act allows the spirited
discussion(s) to continue in direct, private communication that doesn't
impact the greater community of ale. It's like the parent taking the crying
child out of the theater.

I'm very OK with that concept (screamer in the theater while I was watching
the first Iron Man film. I asked her to please be polite. Her response would
have made a sailor blush so I replied in kind and she then understood and
left).

So unless a nasty political coup emerges and the ale.org domain is moved to
servers unknown without my technical assistance, I will continue in my
current roles.

I ask that all posters be mindful of their responsibility to the community
at large and make a deliberate effort to refrain from either direct or
potentially inflammatory comments (outside of those wretched emacs lusers
who haven't seen the light of the one true religion of vi).

I have been deeply humbled by some of the comments received and will strive
to keep the respect of those who made them. The feedback, much from lurkers
and seldom posters (which is about 80+% of the group) indicates that ale
serves a vital purpose and even with the occasional zit, the overall
community over the last many years has been appreciated and no change is
required. Apparently, they know how to hit delete faster than some of us :-)

So let's keep using the [OT] flags and start looking towards the ALE 2011
Summer Social Special to occur near a grill and keg somewhere.

omg. did i just suggest socializing with emacs lusers? must be getting old
and careless.  :-O

James P. Kinney III

- *2011 Noam Chomsky*