[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 16:14:44 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 8:19 AM, Richard Bronosky <Richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
> I fully agree with the idea of ALE being a pub. If any of you have ever
> spent time in a pub, you know there are certain conversations you can't have
> there. They are the same topics that always get out of hand here. You don't
> go to your local pub and start insulting people, calling them stupid, and
> denying their virtues our humanity. Teeth would be lost.

+10

As to my comment on the L in ALE: good point about the A, and my point
wasn't really focused on the fact that there are off topic posts,
moreso the tone and direction they sometimes go in, which Richard just
explained much better than I. ;)

> My previous post on this thread was intended to illustrate how ludacris it
> would be to speak to someone in person the way people often do here. I think
> that many people on this list are like me in that they don't attend the
> meetings because they don't want to witness one of these flame fests in
> person. I have a Mormon friend who quit attending when his religion was
> vitriolically attacked. He wasn't there to evangelize anything but FOSS.

Hrm - I've been to one ALE meeting so far, would have gone back again
given time. Seemed civil enough to me that time.

I don't disagree with the 'local' aspects of the list at all, in fact,
that's why I'm subscribed here rather than on some random web-forum. I
do read the OT posts although I, speaking personally, prefer to stay
technical in public and keep my opinions to myself. Unless it has to
do with kde/vim/deb being better than gnome/emacs/rpm. :)