[ale] Sun Ultra 40 / apcupsd / buzz-saw sound from powersupply.

George Allen glallen01 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 23:03:28 EDT 2011

I'm now the proud owner of a Sun Ultra 40 (Dual Opteron) that I got
cheap off EBay. It's a little dated, but I like it, and the case is
awesome.

We have lots of brownouts and power outages with the weather (sharing
an old house) so I bought a UPS to condition the power and let it do
graceful shutdowns. apcupsd works, it shuts itself down on battery
power, BUT - once shut down, there is this BUZZ SAW sound from the
power supply, like a relay or something that won't kick off while the
UPS is still feeding it power. Pulling the plug from the Sun itself
was my remedy the past couple of time... although if you turn the
computer back on, it's fine -- the buzz saw-stops, regardless of
whether your on AC or battery.

I haven't tried it enough times to determine what the 'criteria' are -
whether it's on/off-battery, what mode the UPS is in, etc... because I
want to avoid my power supply screaming at me as much as possible.

So, has anyone heard of this before?

--George