[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

The Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Wed May 4 11:55:50 EDT 2011

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 10:22:45AM -0400, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> The point in my email was to say that while there is NOT currently a
> mailing list for on topic issues at AUUG that if someone volunteered to
> maintain it I imagine AUUG wouldn't mind hosting it.   Also with the
> discussion of reorganization questions Lindsey has been asking it might
> dovetail into doing the SAGE thing.   I just can't see a need in Atlanta
> for two separate professional UNIX/Linux admin groups and fear they'd
> end up making each other less than they could be.

Can't the same critique be made of having multiple GNU/Linux distributions,
multiple window managers, desktop managers, shells, et al.? AUUG is about
UNIX, ALE is about GNU/Linux, SAGE is for system administrators - three
areas with a lot of overlap, but different foci. There are a variety of
enthusiast and professional geek groups around ATL/GA and I think the
variety is good, even if they sometimes overlap. We are not at a point of
saturation.

Regarding the focus of the ALE list, it's been fairly loose.  I know how to
kill OT threads, so I don't see the same fuss about that - but there's also
an issue of what is on-topic and off-topic.  If people want to tighten that
up, awesome. If they don't, that's ok, too. Bring it up at the ALE meeting,
create an "official" discussion thread, and get some rules created.

Or use a killfile and don't take things personally.

-L