[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed May 4 09:56:06 EDT 2011

My appologies on missing the held post. The garbage level is pretty high on
the held list. I need to work on the filters more. Can't just dump all
non-member posts as a job post occasionally hits the main list.
On May 4, 2011 9:49 AM, "Lightner, Jeff" <JLightner at water.com> wrote:
> I didn't notice the moderation bit because after my 2nd or 3rd response
> to the Usama thread I realized it was getting out of hand so declined to
> respond again.
>
> Interestingly the only post I've made in the past 2 weeks that didn't
> make it to the list WAS on topic and I got an email back that it was
> waiting for moderator approval due to length. (Presumably because it
> included the thread I was posting in reply to.) I noted the moderator
> never sent it through even though it was on topic.
>
> As others have noted though there seems to be much more ranting about
> off topic posts when they involve liberal ideas than when they involve
> conservative ones.
>
> When I first joined the list there was shortly a thread started by
> Gerald regarding separating into two lists that devolved into an
> outright melee. I post off topic here because so far as I can tell
> MOST people post OT here. If someone is willing to push their ideals
> that aren't related to Linux then I feel free to push back. That also
> has come up before so when I saw the discussion of people
> leaving/splitting lists and all I didn't immediately respond because it
> seemed like a repeat of past battles.
>
> I'm interested in why one needs to form a SAGE group in Atlanta given
> that there is already an independent UNIX Users Group (Atlanta Unix
> Users Group a/k/a auug.org). That group doesn't currently have a
> mailing list other than meeting announcements but for the past few
> months Lindsey Cleveland who maintains that list has been asking
> questions about reorganizing. It might be a good idea to reach out to
> him about that. Also the group is looking for a new meeting space as
> the current one is going away probably by September if not earlier.
> Most of the people that attend those meetings are "Professionals" and
> much of the time there is spent talking about Linux in addition to UNIX.

information and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of
the contents of this information is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
have received this electronic transmission in error, please reply
immediately to the sender that you have received the message in error, and
delete it. Thank you.