[ale] as promised/threatened, an overly long post with probably nothing of real importance

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed May 4 06:43:20 EDT 2011

I read ALE for Linux discussions, not politics.

I tend to delete the political rants - en-mass - without reading them.
After meeting some of you in person, I'd rather not have those good
interactions tainted by our political differences. Yes, it is best that
I delete your posts WITHOUT reading.

If we want a larger group, perhaps self-censoring would be best?

Think of the 5 new people who came to the last meeting to learn more
about linux. If they actually joined this list, would they have have
been impressed by the recent discussions?

Would they have felt at home here or would they unsubscribe?

I would quickly agree to an anti-politics & anti-religion rule for this
list.

On 05/03/2011 11:03 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> For the past 10+ years ALE has been my extended family of geeks. The
> aggregate intelligence of the group makes up for the other 99% of the
> population. As in any extended family, there were squabbles that would
> flare up and die down. Occasionally, someone would get very personal in
> their attacks and I took it upon myself to direct the offender, offline,
> to improve their behavior in order to continue to have a great, well
> respected group of Linux geeks that could discuss nearly any topic with
> civility.

<snip>