[ale] [OT] Time for a Cell Phone Change

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Mon May 2 08:54:27 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-05-01 at 07:34 -0400, Greg Clifton wrote:
> Damon,
> That is the kind of feedback I was looking for. Very glad to hear the
> phone works out of town, now the question is, does the phone work
> between the cities (without roaming charges?)  I live ~ 15 miles south
> of Hartsfield airport, have a kid in college in Milledgeville and a
> kid who hangs out in the Newnan area. Metro also has soe sort of
> family plan that gives you $5 per [extra] line presumably up to 5
> total as the other carriers but you can't get details on line, gotta
> go to the store. If we were 'city dwellers' Metro would be a no
> brainer. And Metro has a number of smart/Android phones both CDMA ones
> and LTE ones.

In the metro area, I would not be concerned (I live half way between
Kennesaw and Acworth on hwy 41).  Now in between the cities, that may be
different.  In Birmingham I have zero coverage (for GPS, phone worked).
East of Birmingham, on I20, after the boarder is crossed, I have
coverage again (I can't tell you where, exactly).  I cut north and west
from Douglasvill up to Acworth and had coverage all the way back home.

Memphis, coverage.  Much of the trip from OKC to Atlanta via the future
route of I35 across Miss. Alabama, no coverage (for GPS, phone not
checked).

You would have to check the coverage area for MetroPCS.
http://www.metropcs.com/coverage/ Per that page, Newnan is covered as is
Hartsfield with "Talk and text available. Web, email and multimedia
available in some areas. " coverage in Miledgeville.  Basicly, if there
is a density of population, MetroPCS has you covered.

Drop the cell contract, that is for the 20th century.  Buy the phone, go
month to month, it is so much cheaper.