[ale] .NET considered harmful

Charles Shapiro hooterpincher at gmail.com
Thu Mar 31 10:29:09 EDT 2011

Yesterday I figured out another step in the long KuroBox saga.  The
initrd.buffalo file is basically a gzipped file system with a header
on it. So I was able to dd(1) the filesystem off, gunzip(1) the output
file, then loop-mount the filesystem and edit /etc/shadow to change
the root password on the one that worked but that I couldn't find the
root password for.  Then I used mkimage (from the ubuntu uboot-mkimage
package) to re-make it into a -- hopefully working -- u-boot initrd
file.  Haven't tried it yet though, maybe this weekend. Looks like the
correct next step would be to plug a hard drive in and install Debian
on it.  I have access to two other 'bricked' kuro-boxen, so if I can
figure this out I might be able to rehabilitate a bunch of hardware.
That'd be a Step Forward for Humanity.

Just an attempt to bring this thread back to substantive discussion.
Obligatory Capitalism reference:  I'd rather sell or trade away these
things than hoard them, 'specially if I have to come up with a $50
hard drive to make them workee.

-- CHS