[ale] States Knowledge and GPS

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Wed Mar 30 11:05:10 EDT 2011

On 03/30/2011 09:31 AM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> I've driven to all but 4 states so it was fairly easy for me.  If only I
> hadn't let my attention lapse on the very last one.   It probably would
> have been harder to identify the square states if one had to do it by
> shape rather than position on the map (other than the non-contiguous
> ones).  I take annual road trips to different destinations and am
> running out of states.   Interestingly last November I set my car's
> fancy in-dash GPS to "San Diego" and it took me to San Diego ... County!
> It was interesting to be up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere
> and have my car tell me:  "You have reached your destination."  I begged
> to differ.   Turns out it had an entry for San Diego County and one for
> the city and I hadn't realized it gave me two options when I told it San
> Diego.
>

> I'm still trying to work out how to drive to Hawaii at some point...

I've lived in 8 different states and about 15 different cities, so this
"test" was pretty easy for me too.  I even liked in Nebraska and North
Dakota, so the states around there aren't any issue.

Your point about shape-only testing would be a challenge - especially WY
and CO.  I've been to both and have family in CO, still, the outline
appears to be exactly the same.

My GPS doesn't understand "Home" - it appears there is a Home someplace
in the north east that conflicts with my "Home" POI in the GPS.
Fortunately, I haven't gone in the wrong direction, but I have been
screwed by Google Maps when looking for Harley-Davidson Factories, hotel
locations, and other tourist POIs.