[ale] .NET considered harmful

Scott Steele roninazure at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:26:35 EDT 2011

Here's a rebuttal. Even though I am not a big MS fan, there are
benefits to .NET.

1. .NET is NOT a language, it's a framework that is
language-independent. So right from the start, this guy knows nothing
about what he is claiming to know about.

2. .NET is a choice? Oh really? So I can go to work and code in
whatever I like then? Interesting idea for a hiring manager.

3. .NET doesn't automate anything  - the IDE does provide
encapsulation convenience, but you don't have to use it. You can get
some starting code to work with, just like you can in Zend, EE5, Ruby
on Rails, etc. - nobody is forcing you to use it as is.

4. The McDonalds analogy is so flawed and shows such a total
misunderstanding of .NET and programming in general, that it is hard
to really create any kind of intelligent reply. You can do anything
you like in .NET the same way you would in EE5.

5. What do you think you can do from scratch these days? Build an
operation system of 3 million lines of code? Why? Are you seriously
saying you wouldn't use an existing library? You must be the only guy
on the planet that thinks this way.

6. Microsoft has some interesting interfaces for rapid development,
but provides a framework and can't write code for you.

7. I have no idea why this idiot thinks Microsoft would create a
technology what would code for a programmer and be completely
different from everything else - what kind of idiotic reasoning is
this? WTF?

8. DirectX is a dead technology as far as I know, why even discussing this?

9. This person knows nothing about programming, or is this a pathetic
attempt to do a viral blog? I can't seriously believe this is really a
hiring manager or this bonehead needs to himself work at McDonalds
(both McDonalds and Microsoft should be insulted by this blog in my
opinion).