[ale] OT: Disposal of standard fluorescent lamps?

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:53:30 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 1:51 PM, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is good to know! I'm finding the "10 year life span" to be totally crap
> marketing and have a small collection of CFL's and few 4' tubes that need a
> funeral.
>
> BTW: CFL's are in general not designed for "base up" operation unless
> specified.

Nor do they work with a dimmer unless specified.  And even then, they
are not near as good with a dimmer as traditional incandescent lights.

fyi: the state of Georgia may pass a law that it is legal to
manufacture and sell incandescent in GA as long as they don't cross
the state line.  (ie. Fed Law only kicks in when products ship between
states.)

I know the proposed law passed the state senate a few weeks ago.  I
have been interested enough to follow it in the house.

My mine desire is to be able to have incandescent lights in places I
use a dimmer.  After all, dimmer's save electricity too unless you
keep them at max. most of the time.

Greg