[ale] GIT Gui Linux & Windows

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 21:29:19 EDT 2011

It looks like Git has improved their support outside of Linux. They at
least provide downloads for the other two platforms on the homepage,
now. But I bet the Windows version still relies on Cygwin. I have
Cygwin installed on my machine at work, but it still irks me when
software claims cross platform support and then uses Cygwin.

I've never used Bazaar. I really like Mercurial, though. I haven't
experienced any of the problems you have outlined. Except maybe an
initial, very large, clone. But once you have a clone, future pulls
are super quick and use less bandwidth than Git.

I like Mercurial's simplicity and extensibility. I also like that you
can use the same scripts on multiple repositories. That doesn't look
to be possible with Git (using each VCS's "hooks"). It makes
administering my department's Mercurial server much easier than our
Subversion server (same machine).

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/