[ale] How do people deal with RHEL?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 14:47:29 EDT 2011

Wow. My reply was cordial compared to a lot of the exchanges on this
list (I even thanked you for telling me about the EPEL repository).
And it's the one that's going to get you in a huff? Okay.

I'm not sure where you are getting your Debian information. The
"Debian way" is most certainly not one of "compile everything
yourself." And the distribution certainly doesn't pull in 3rd party
repositories. The situation there is the same as with Red Hat; if a
3rd party repo exists, and you want to include it, go for it. The
difference is that the mainline, supported by the organization,
distribution includes more software than you would ever care to
install. So if you find a need for some piece of software, chances a
very good that you won't have to hunt down some 3rd party repo.

--
James Sumners
http://james.roomfullofmirrors.com/

CH:D 59