[ale] How do people deal with RHEL?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:48:27 EDT 2011

The information on which RHEL I am using is not missing from my
original post: "Fetching Obsoletes list for channel: rhel-i386-es-4".
That is "Fetching packages list for RHEL 4 i386." As a Red Hat guy you
should be able to understand that.

I never said I wanted bleeding edge software or even newer versions of
the software available. I complained that RHEL is woefully limited in
the packages it offers to the point that it frustrates me every time I
want to install a new package ("new" as in "not previously
installed"). You make the assertion that I'm coming from some fast
moving distribution; have you seen the times between Debian
releases[1]? They are just as slow as RHEL releases[2]. Also, yes,
ntop was around in 2005. Its first release was at least as far back as
1998. It's not "new" software.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread, I know that I could build the
package from source. I don't want to do that. Not only is that a
maintenance nightmare (if I wanted the same package on all 5 of my
RHEL servers then I would have to do the build 5 times), but I would
have to install extra software just for the purpose of building. GCC
is not installed on my servers, and there shouldn't be any reason to
do so. I prefer to only have software installed on my servers that is
necessary to run, maintain, and diagnose the server. The fact that my
predecessor allowed X to be installed on these servers bugs me to no
end (and also another of my gripes about Red Hat -- it installs too
much crap by default).

I did not know about the EPEL repositories, and I might start using
them. But they won't solve the problem I face today. Even these repos
don't contain the package I want[3]. And that's exactly what I was
bitching about in my original post -- lack of software available via
the the package manager.

[1] -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian#Release_history
[2] -- http://linuxmafia.com/faq/RedHat/releases.html
[3] -- http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/4/i386/repoview/letter_n.group.html