[ale] How do people deal with RHEL?

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Thu Mar 24 12:38:42 EDT 2011

The reason people get RHEL is specifically for "support".   Saying
"support" doesn't matter in this context makes no sense.   If you want
an unsupported distro you are free to use one.

RHEL4 not only is very old but RedHat just sent out EOL notices for it
this month.    RHEL6 came out earlier in the year.

Also you might want to question your requirement for RHEL4 over RHEL5 -
I've noticed some vendors that actually support the latter haven't
bothered to update documents that certified their products running on
the former.   (Oracle products are fairly bad about that - if you open a
ticket with them you can find out whether RHEL5 is officially supported
for the product you want to install but often won't find it in the
installation documents.)

The Fedora project has a repository called the EPEL for RPMs you can use
in RHEL but these RPMs aren't "supported" by RedHat.   Similarly RPMs at
Dag Wieers' site are safe in my view but again aren't "supported" by
RedHat.   (RedHat of course supports the Fedora project but don't
directly support end users' use of it.)

Since ntop is a monitoring tool I don't think I'd feel much compunction
about installing it on a RHEL system from sources other than RedHat so
long as those sources were ones I trusted like the EPEL and Dag sites I
mentioned.

Also most open source packages are exactly that - you are free to
download and compile the source yourself if you don't trust third party
repositories.