[ale] Linux in DeKalb County Schools

Chuck Peters cp at axs.org
Wed Mar 23 22:04:00 EDT 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:10 AM,  <jwkite at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was at my son's school this morning and thrilled when I looked at the computers in his second grade classroom. One was running XP and the other two were running Open Suse. I really respect his teacher and asked if the kids have any trobules with the Linux boxes. She stated only that those machines "don't have sound cards" and that the kids cannot use a particular education site (encompasslearning).

The last machine I recall that didn't have a sound card built in to
the motherboard was a Dell Intel P3 500Mz.  If the machines are that
old, try to get someone or organisation, to donate a P4 of better.  Do
you have a computer recycling for schools organization in the area?
Did you look in the back of the machines and see if it had a sound
output?  Did you or could you run lshw and lspci as root?

Chuck