[ale] [OT] rant - decadence in society - DRM

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Mar 23 11:27:49 EDT 2011

I daresay your view of how "moral" the 1700s were might be completely
different if you had been a slave or an indentured servant.  Decadence
wasn't invented in 20th century America as you seem to think.   Ever
hear of the Marquis de Sade?

If you look just at the 20th century alone you'll see a lot of this is
cyclical.  The "roaring 20s" were fairly decadent (and by the way were
before your "last 70 years").  It was the rise of venereal (now called
STDs) as well as the depression that and a following world war that made
thing seem less decadent overall.   Similarly one saw the rise of "free
love" and free wheeling life styles in the 70s only to have them come to
a screeching halt due to a major recession and the rise of AIDS.

Having grown up in the 60s and 70s and survived the intervening years
I've seen many cycles and history repeating itself.

Personally I believe the main issue with society these days is mainly
due to the idea that children are "little people" that can be "reasoned"
with rather than wild animals that need to be tamed and civilized to
become functioning adults.   When I was a kid you learned to behave
yourself because while there weren't many cameras there were many adults
and no one felt compunction about addressing someone else's child when
they were doing something wrong away from their parents.   These days
you don't dare do that even if you're a teacher or other authority
figure over a group of children because most parents simply don't want
to believe their "little darlings" could ever do anything wrong.

P.S.  "Intellectual property" is a joke.  Most of it is "owned" by
corporations rather than by the "Intellects" that came up with the
ideas.