[ale] Debian and LVM

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Mon Mar 21 16:05:01 EDT 2011

LVM is great after you get over what appears to be an illogic.   I remember years ago when I first saw it on HP-UX thinking "Why would you combine disks together (into a VG) just to break them up again (into LVs)?"

Once you realize it overcomes slicing/partitioning limitations of individual disks AND doesn't require re-layout of partitions "above" the one currently being adjusted its value becomes obvious.

The only issue I've seen with its use in Linux is that many users mistakenly assume it somehow replaces the need for RAID protection of disks.   Ideally one uses hardware RAID (either via a RAID HBA or via external storage) and lays out LVM on top of that.   Of course one can always layout LVM on top of mdadm RAID devices as well.