[ale] User-specific software installation. ~/bin vs ~/.local/bin vs ??

Damon L. Chesser damon at damtek.com
Mon Mar 21 14:24:20 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 13:49 -0400, Sparr wrote:
> When you install software specific to your user (as many third party
> game installers want to do by default, and many `make` processes are
> capable of doing if so instructed), where do you put it? I have an
> entire root hierarchy in ~/.local (that is, ~/.local/bin ~/.local/var
> ~/.local/usr ~/.local/etc etc) that I let such things install to. I've
> encountered other people who simply have ~/bin ~/etc ~/opt etc. Are
> there other schemes? Are there any standards on this matter?

Well, In your home dir, you are king and there are no standards AFAIK
concerning that.  Now, when it comes to preferences, I do not
like .local/.... as it is "hard" to see the .dirs.  I personally like to
do something like /home/me/$NAMEofAPP/... or /home/me/local/..., but
that is totally a preference.