[ale] my 1st shell script - chk big files

Don Lachlan ale-at-ale.org at unpopularminds.org
Mon Mar 21 01:51:15 EDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Sparr <sparr0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have varying levels of dislike for most VCSs. What recently tipped
> the scales in favor of git for me is the existence of github. If there
> had ever been a collaborative code sharing environment of that caliber
> for svn, or if there was now one for bzr or monotone or anything else,

Git is free software but Github is proprietary and the web service has
the same anti-free legalese as everywhere else:
http://help.github.com/terms/

Subversion is an improvement upon CVS, which is an improvement upon
RCS. I've not picked a "favorite" amongst the distributed systems as
none do what I want and all do what I need. Preferences vary.

>> On Mar 20, 2011 11:54 PM, "Richard Bronosky" <Richard at bronosky.com> wrote:
>>> For this kind of thing, you really ought to be using github. Even if you
>>> never host a full open source project, for something like this you post a
>>> "gist". For example, here is one of mine:

He wrote a 12 line shell script, not Les Miserables. He doesn't need
to deal with publishing it for people to fork.

Priorities, man...

-Lachlan